12 June 2009

sharing knowledge

*just to share something with u all....


(Introduction)

You might heard these term mechatronics, petrochemical, information and communication technology (ICT), biodiesel and biophysics.

All these jargon are actually the combination of two or more branch of knowledge or also known as multidiscipline.

For example, mechatronic comes from the word of mechanical and electronic.
Petrochemical comes from the word of petroleum and chemical
Biophysic comes from biology and physic

My topic of discussion here is about the Engineering Challenges In Multidiscipline Era.
I know its sound heavy but, I will try my best to explain in the best way.

Many issues can be address but, I consider one for our discussion here.

Collaboration is the key factor to faces this engineering challenges in multidiscipline era successfully.

I thing, we can do a lot of collaboration here as academician.


(Contents)

Let we look into our facility.
My first point is about our laboratories facility.
I don’t want to touch about facilities that beyond our control which under responsibility supporting department like PPH and PTM.
We should proud with very excellent facilities supported from them.

I’m only interested with facilities which under specific department or faculty.
For my cases, FKEE.
Based on laboratories facilities Audit done by Ministry of Higher Education (MHE) and Economic Planning Unit (EPU) last year, we among the top have a best facility compared to other university in Malaysia.

Some of issue should be question here what I would like to highlight is,
How many of us know what facilities that we have in our laboratories, faculties or research centre?

How can we make full use of our facilities in terms of teaching and learning as well as research work not only for specific department but, able to use by others PTj.

I just know the facilities in my department and some labs at FKEE since I involved directly during auditing process.
Honestly, I don’t know the facilities exist at other faculty and research centre in our university.
Through my research, only few laboratories inform their facility online which can access through internet.

As head of robotic laboratories, I would like to inform the main facility that we have.
So far, my lab able to do a technical works in the field of mechatronics, robotics and automation engineering.

We have a 30 units of Programmable Logic Controller (PLC),
2 units of Computer Integrated Manufacturing (CIM) system,
10 units Assembly Cell Trainer System,
10 set IGSS SCADA educational Version Software and
3 different brand of industrial robot.
Which are Yamaha, Kawasaki and Mitsubishi.
All from japan.

I believe we can share these facilities by others PTj
Especially staff and student from FKEE and FKMP as well as FPTek.

Its can be done because we have a good procedure especially when referred to latest Bursary Circular (PB Bil. 2/2009 about Tatacara Pengurusan Aset Alih Universiti)
and MS ISO 9001:2000 quality procedure (PSR-19 Prosedur Pengurusan Makmal (Laboratories Management Procedure)


Ladies and gentlemen,

My second point is collaboration with other student and staff from different department /PTj.
We can enhance our teaching and learning process through this collaboration.

Sorry to say, I will discuss more on mechatronic because its my comfortable discipline and research area.
I will give more example on that particular subject where I comfortable with.

I’m a bit disappointed with my current bath of electrical and electronic engineering student who take major in mechatronic because they never enter my lab for even 4 years.
I don’t want to blame them because its our fault.
Actually, it comes from our syllabus and program.
Hopefully, it will not happen in future when our new program expectedly runs next year.

So far, we have been successfully manage collaboration with FKMP in Robot Contest (Robocon).
Even though UTHM not a big name in that game but Mr. Muhammad Fauzi success to manage them.
I passed this part to him for further discussion.


My third point point is research
We also suppose to do collaboration through of research.
I’m interested the concept from Datuk Prof. Ir. Dr. Hj. Zaidee bin Laidin, former Vice Cancellor UiTM about this matter.
He said, source of success is knowledge, the source of knowledge is research, and the source of research is through collaboration.


Ladies and gentlemen,
As a warrior and pioneer, we unable to do this collaboration due to specific constrains and limitation.
We always busy with management activities.
I believe, most of us not only busy with teaching and learning as our priority job scope but also appointed as head of labs, head of sub-course stream, coordinator for Jawatankuasa or subject and many more.
Maybe its comes from the name UTHM, University of Endless Meeting (Universiti Tak Habis-habis Meeting), meeting is compulsory for every week for some specific reason.
I don’t want to talk about that but, we hope that burden should be minimized.


Ladies and gentlemen,

(Conclusion)

As a conclusion we have the responsibility by taking a part in response this challenge.
It also a challenge for us to do the right things right.
Once again, collaboration is key factor in this matter.

What the most important? Coorperation
(everybody like wonderspet motto)

p/s: starting point to improve my english..

No comments: